Bulgaria Fast Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 75 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $35,000
- Profile of Children: In 2010, 69% of children were age five or older.
- Parent Ages: Parents must be 15 years older than the child.
- Family Status: Married couples and singles may adopt.
- Travel: Both parents must travel.
- Timeline: Can take several years to receive a referral.
Bulgaria Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Bulgaria in your state:
Bulgaria processes adoptions through the Ministry of Justice. Adopting parents must use an adoption agency accredited by the Bulgarian government. Adoptions are not processed on a first come, first serve basis. Instead, priority is given to parents adopting special-needs children. Bulgaria is a member of the Hague Adoption Convention.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Articles from Adoptive Families Magazine
- Through the Glass
A mother reflects on how she and her daughter met as strangers and grew to become family.
- How Jesse Learned to Play
A little boy adjusts to his new life in America, after living in an orphanage in Bulgaria.
Helpful Web Resources for Bulgaria Adopters