Honduras Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 10 children
- Hague Accredited: No
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $40,000
- Profile of Children: 45% are between one and two years old. 36% are between 13 and 17 (2011). Children under 14 can be adopted through IHNFA. Children 14 and older must go through the family courts.
- Parent Ages: Parents must be between 25 and 50 years old. In the case of married couples, at least one spouse has to meet these requirements. The child must be at least 15 years younger than the younger spouse.
- Family Status: Married couples must adopt jointly.
- Travel: Two trips required by both parents.
- Timeline: Generally between one and four years.
Honduras Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Honduras in your state:
The adoption process has been under review for years by the Honduran Institute for Family and Children (IHNFA), the government agency responsible for intercountry adoption, but no changes have thus far been made. Prior to adoption, children may be cared for in orphanages or in foster families, and the quality of care varies considerably.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Honduras Adopters