Hungary Fast Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 4 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $35,000
- Profile of Children: 60% of children are between five and 12 years old (2010).
- Parent Ages: The younger member of an adoptive couple must be between 16 and 45 years older than the child.
- Family Status: Married couples preferred.
- Travel: Both parents must travel to Hungary to meet the child for the first week of a 30-day temporary custody requirement, and both must be present at the end of the 30 days.
- Timeline: Adopting parents may wait up to several years before being matched.
Hungary Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Hungary in your state:
Adopting parents must meet the child in Hungary before receiving temporary custody, but adoption is not final until the child lives with the adopting parents for one month with periodic evaluation by the local child protection service. Priority is given to couples prepared to parent a special-needs child.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Hungary Adopters