Latvia Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 82 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $30,000
- Profile of Children: 61% are between five and 12 years old. 36% are between 13 and 17 (2011).
- Parent Ages: Parents must be at least 25, and must be at least 18 years older than the child.
- Family Status: Both married couples and singles may adopt.
- Travel: May require as many as three trips. Latvian courts require that a parent-child relationship be formed before a final court decision is made, but the exact requirements vary on a case-by-case basis. Parents may be required to care for children and share a household in Latvia for up to six months.
- Timeline: Generally from one to four years.
Because of public opposition in Latvia to the adoption of Latvian children by foreigners, the government does not make intercountry adoption a priority. Children are cared for in orphanages or foster families, and may speak Russian or Latvian. Prospective parents are likely to be matched with a sibling group of three or more children, a child over age nine, or a child with severe health problem.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Latvia Adopters