Moldova Fast Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 10 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $20,000 to $35,000
- Profile of Children: 85% of children adopted are between 12 and 24 months old (2010). Children must be on the government's registry for six months before they are available for intercountry adoption.
- Parent Ages: Parents must be 25 to 50 years old. For couples, only one partner must be under the age of 50.
- Family Status: Married couples and singles may adopt. Alcohol and drug addiction, psychiatric disorders, and infectious diseases may disqualify parents.
- Travel: Both parents are required to travel to Moldova to meet potential child and appear before the court.
- Timeline: Approximately six to nine months from time of referral to finalization.
The adoption process from Moldova can be complex and lengthy. The Moldovan government will consider intercountry adoption only if there are no in-country prospective parents or the child has extensive health needs that can't be met in Moldova. The Moldovan government has strict health requirements for adopting parents.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Moldova Adopters