Panama Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 2 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $30,000 to $40,000
- Profile of Children: Most children are between three and 16 years old, have siblings, or have special needs.
- Parent Ages: Adoptive parents must be between 18 and 45 years older than the child.
- Family Status: Both married couples and singles may adopt. Couples must be married for at least two years. Same sex couples are not allowed to adopt.
- Travel: In the case of couples, both parents must travel to Panama for at least a week to bond with their child. At least one parent must remain in Panama to process the adoption. Total travel time is about two months.
- Timeline: Usually one to two years.
Panama Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Panama in your state:
Panama has a small adoption program, and very few agencies work there. In the last decade, there have been only a handful of adoptions to the U.S. Panamian citizens are given preference for adoption.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Panama Adopters