Serbia Fast Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 7 children
- Hague Accredited: No
- Profile of Children: 50% of children are ages five to 12 (2010). A child must be registered for a minimum of one year before s/he is eligible for intercountry adoption. In practice, Americans may only adopt children with treatable physical and mental disabilities.
- Parent Ages: Parents must be at least 18 years older than child, but no more than 45 years older than child.
- Family Status: Married couples must adopt jointly. Singles may receive case-by-case approval by the Serbian government. Same-sex couples may not adopt. Prospective parents with mental illnness or an infectious disease are not permitted to adopt.
- Timeline: Once referral is made, approximately four weeks.
Serbia Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Serbia in your state:
Prospective parents are matched with children who have been registered by local adoption authorities called Centers for Social Work. Once a match is made, the adopting parents will work directly with the appropriate Center for Social Work and, within a few days, their names will replace those of the biological parents on the registry (this process is called the Solemn Ceremony of the Adoption).
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Serbia Adopters