South Africa Adoption
South Africa Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 7 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $27,000
- Profile of Children: Many children have special needs, are HIV+ or are part of sibling groups.
- Parent Ages: Adoptive parents must be between the ages of 18 and 48.
- Family Status: Currently adoptions are limited to heterosexual couples who have been married at least three years and single women. South Africa does allow homosexual couples to adopt domestically; this policy may eventually be extended to intercountry adoptions.
- Travel: Families must make at least one trip to South Africa, and should plan on staying for two to six weeks.
- Timeline: Parents will likely wait 18 months for a referral.
South Africa Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from South Africa in your state:
After becoming party to the Hague Convention, South Africa approved its first adoption service providers in July of 2012. South Africa is keeping its international adoption program small, in order to maintain better oversight.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for South Africa Adopters