Adoption From Ukraine
Ukraine Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 395 children
- Hague Accredited: No
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $40,000+
- Profile of Children: 48% are five to 12 years old. 26% are between 13 and 17 (2011).
- Parent Ages: Parents must be at least 21 years old, and must be between 15 and 45 years older than the adoptive child.
- Family Status: Only married couples may adopt; however, adoptions may be processed using only one parentís name.
- Travel: Parents may make one or two trips that total three to four weeks.
- Timeline: Generally between four and 18 months.
The Ukrainian adoption process is unusual in that adoptive parents must travel to the country before they receive their referral. The SDAPRC (Ukraineís central adoption authority) allows only two referrals, and three appointments to look at childrenís files. Parents will have the chance to meet the child and examine his or her medical records before deciding whether to accept.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Personal Stories About Ukrainian Adoption
Helpful Books for Ukraine Adopters
Best Web Resources for Ukraine Adopters